Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It Takes a Village (Part 2)

Ok, so you know (see Part 1) that I've gone through my own crazy schedule gyrations, and cooperative agreements with neighbors, to see that my kids get where they need to be and supervised while we work. This is a story of other neighbors, who I don't know well....

There are lots of families with elementary-aged kids in our neighborhood. One family has four kids in elementary school - let's call the kids A, B, C, and D. So someone has to get A, B, and C on and off the bus, and watch D part of the day (she's in half-day kindergarten). Dad has consistently worked full-time, and mom got a full-time job within this past year which requires changing shifts regularly. They've been depending on another neighbor to help out with bus duty and the littlest.

(As an aside, I cannot believe that neighbor #2 took on these kids. They're constantly yelling at each other, arguing, running into the street, being mean to other kids on the bus, and generally driving me crazy. I once even saw them climbing onto & walking around on top of dad's car in the driveway. I don't think I'd have the patience to take them on!)

So, I'm sure they were in a tight spot when neighbor #2 went on vacation for a week, during school, and yet both parents had jobs to get to. One morning, the parents decided to allow the 3 oldest kids to be by themselves for the last half hour (or maybe more?) before getting on the bus in the morning. I'm not sure if this was desperation or honestly thinking that A (the 4th-grader) could be in charge. Here's what happened:

A, B, and C arrive at the bus stop. A and C wander about a house down the street in the other direction from the bus stop.

B: (turns and goes back across the street to their house) Oh, crap!
A: (returning a minute later) Where did B go?
Me: Back toward your house, but I don't know why.
A: (yelling) B, get back here!
B: (coming back) I forgot my water! And I need it!
A: (in the mean, derisive tone she seems to save for her sister) That was stupid. You'll have to do without it.
B: No! I need it!! You're being mean and stupid!

Much arguing ensues, during which A and B continue to insult each other, occasionally using inappropriate language (didn't I tell you they argue constantly?). I wish the other kids weren't listening to this. I wish I weren't listening to this. And, since the parents never asked for my help with them, I'm staying OUT of it, just watching.

B: I don't care what you say, I'm going back in for my water!
A: We don't have the key. How are you getting in?
B: I'll get through the window! (stomps toward their back yard as - oh, crap - the bus stops two blocks away, at the top of the hill)
A: FINE!! BE STUPID!!!!
B: SHUT UP!!!!  STUPID!!!!

(bus stops at our stop, other kids get on, while B continues to stomp toward her back yard. I'm done watching. What the hell is she going to do if she misses the bus?)

Me: B, you're about to miss the bus! (I'm yelling from across the street, toward her in her yard a couple houses down from the bus stop.)
B: I don't care! I want my water!
Me: How are you going to get to school? Get on the bus!
B: (grouchy silence)
Me: Go! (I'm not driving you to school! Your parents never asked for my help with you, I barely know them.)
B: (stomps onto bus, whose driver - thankfully! - had waited for her)


... so, given that I had to (repeatedly) yell at B to get out of her yard and onto the bus... and I was the only adult at the bus stop to hear what had happened... but, I also barely even know the parents' names... do I tell them about it?

I spent the next hour walking the dog and contemplating. Which resulted in me coming home, sitting down at the computer (much more readable than my handwriting!) and composing a note to the parents. Which I then left taped to their front door before heading out to work.

I'm sure this could have ended badly, in any number of directions... But what would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment