Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I am _____

Prompted by a blog I read:

I am someone who was raised by selfish parents; too busy with their own lives to truly care what the kids were up to (in my case, being abused by an older brother).

I am someone who decides every single damn day to put my own kids first whenever possible. I love them completely and fiercly. I am mama bear. Don't try to get in the way of my kids, or I will run you over. I struggle to let them fight their own battles when they can, but they're little yet. I spent three months fighting an idiot rule on my daughter's behalf. It was exhausting, but I'd do it all over again.

I am a therapist. I help others cope with their challenges; while some days struggling with my own. I care for the people I help, and will always do my best for them. But it's also exhausting some days. I am sure that I've chosen the right career path.

I am a wife. I love my husband more than any other creature on earth besides our kids, but some days I have to consciously choose to remain a wife. This marriage thing is HARD.

I am a friend. I don't open mysel fup to new people often, because at times people will blow me off without explanation and that hurts. But if I've let you in, I hold nothing back. I will bring you medicine and popsicles when you're sick, or help you plot revenge. Whatever you need!

I am not always happy with who I am or where I'm at in life. I struggle some days to maintain perspective. But when I can gain that larger perspective, I feel pretty damn lucky to be where I'm at.

1 comment:

  1. Found you through the "I am" challenge today :) I did one too then realized I didn't show a whole lot of love, planning a 2.0 tomorrow. Anyway, read a couple of your posts and loved them. I was a therapist before being a SAHM, yes, it is exhausting! I don't think I have the patience to go back. I too have to make a conscious choice to remain a wife every day. Thanks for sharing and your honesty. I try to do the same at my little blog, be honest that is, it's great self therapy for the busy mommy of little ones, huh?! I'll be back here for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete